Why are we writing a business case?
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- What are re-users' requirements?
- What is the importance of the assets to the institution?
- How mature (in DP terms) is organisation?
- What are your organisation's business objectives?
Why is preservation important for each of these groups/areas?
What are the benefits in relation to:
- Collections? (secure and accessible)
- Department? (fulfilling strategic objectives)
- Organisation? (ability to fulfil organisational mission, effective exploitation of assets - maximising their use)
- Users? (access to collections)
- Depositors? (trust in repository)
What are the risks in relation to:
- Collections? (information loss)
- Department? (inability to fulfil strategic objectives)
- Organisation? (reputational damage, loss of income generating capacity with lack of access to assets)
- Users? (loss of access to collections)
- Depositors? (lack of confidence in repository)
Why should I...?
- Why should I worry about data loss?
- Why should I worry about access?
- Why should I make this a priority?
- Why can't I leave it to our IT people?
- Strategy documents (collections development policies, organisational/departmental strategies, mission statements)
- Risk assessment methodologies
- Sample business cases
- Preservation case studies - horror stories and success stories