What resources are we focussing on?
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- What resources do you have available?
Money or people? Can you make the case for one or the other more easily? Is this entirely new, or an extension of something you are doing already in part or in whole? Think about: staffing/skills, technical infrastructure (storage, processing), processes (e.g. cataloguing) What are the recurrent costs as opposed to capital costs?
- Where does the stuff come from?
Who are the producers? Do you have an ongoing relationship? How much context is provided? How much control do you have over the source? What is your mandate, collecting policy, retention schedule? Do you have an exit strategy?
- Have you got a skills gap?
Who is in post already? Is there a bottleneck, or too much focus on a few people? Do you have a succession plan? Do you need to create new posts? Do you need a training programme for people who are in post already? Do you need to stop doing things and change job roles? And can you?! Do you have a skills roadmap? What skills can you build over time?
- Have you got the infrastructure you need?
Ingest - tools for characterisation, fixity, etc. Store - capacity, understanding growth, redundancy/backups Access - user requirements, interfaces for discovery/rendering, accessibility Can you prioritise? Do you have an infrastructure roadmap?
- What are the access conditions affecting nature of resource?
Are there sensitivity issues? Are there closure periods, embargos?
- What do you need to know - how much detail? Know what you don't need to know. What is enough information?
- What have you got: complexity/diversity, volume/growth
- Do you have large files that are difficult to process or move around your network?
- What is the carrier medium?
- What is the authenticity requirement?
- What formats do you have?
- What problems do your formats cause? (e.g. can you render the format? do files render correctly? what level of QA does the collection need - e.g. file by file? - do you have the resources available for the workflow? what tools are you using?)
- What degree of stabilisation of assets is required via emulation etc
- What are your Bit-level / carrier medium solutions?
- What are your refreshment cycles?