This is the process that a practitioner should follow to build this section of the business case. This should be a numbered list!
What do you need to think about in order to model costs as part of the business plan. Factors such as internal vs. external
1. Identify the time period relevant to the business case (e.g. are you asking for a one-off lump sum, or recurring costs over 5 years) 2. What are your business requirements for digital preservation? (short-term, long-term, mandate, legal???) and factor this into the costs 3. What is the scale of the programme you are proposing? (Is it a project, phased, or full blown program???) 4. Files types (assets)(what part of the collection or collections are you proposing to preserve) 5. What is the current environment? Do you have internal capacity? appetite? 6. What type of system and processes are you proposing (external system (with minimal on-site support or in-house development) 7. Identify cost parameters associated with different options (use APARSEN report for guidance) 8. Identify costs per parameter for each option (preferably using a published cost model) 9. Identify potential sources of funding (internal, external, core, project) 10. Staffing (Current capacity, can you move staff, how agile is the organization to move people around?) 11. Training, Immediate and Continuous (skills and skills gap) (what is your current state? Do you need to skill up quickly or keep people in-the-loop)
What is or has already been spent on this activity/proposal?
This should describe the contents or structure of the business case, resulting from following the Process above
- Re-specify objectives of business case
- Identify options (informed by 4, 5 and 6 above)
- Specify cost associated with each option - informed by 7, including 9 and 10, specified per annum (see 1)
- Identify source of funding for the project - see 8 - for duration of business case validity
Scenario 1: HE institution business case for a new repository system
1. Determine/estimate costs for infrastructure: *hardware *software *licences 2. Determine/estimate costs for training 3. Determine/estimate costs for staffing *salaries *recruitment 4. Recurrent costs
Scenario 2: Local archive business case for a digital preservation officer Scenario 3: Large CH institution moving to third pary service provider
Notes relevant to tailoring this section to the appropriate audience and communicating the the business case to that audience As relevant for all aspects of the business case
These are external resources of relevance to this section. Links can be incorporated into the text above if that is more useful
APARSEN D32.1 Report on cost parameters for digital repositories http://www.alliancepermanentaccess.org/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2013/03/APARSEN-REP-D32_1-01-1_0.pdf
APARSEN D32.2 report under review, link to be added when published.
Minnesota Historical Society cost modeling. http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/records/legislativerecords/carol/costmodels.htm
Minnesota Historical Society. Digital Preservation Case Study Information. http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/records/legislativerecords/docs_pdfs/DigitalPreservationBusinessCaseInformationCRK10_5_2011.pdf