3.1 MANDATORY RESPONSIBILITIES
This subsection establishes mandatory responsibilities that an organization must discharge in order to operate an OAIS Archive.
The OAIS shall:
– Negotiate for and accept appropriate information from information Producers.
– Obtain sufficient control of the information provided to the level needed to ensure Long Term Preservation.
– Determine, either by itself or in conjunction with other parties, which communities should become the Designated Community and, therefore, should be able to understand the information provided, thereby defining its Knowledge Base.
– Ensure that the information to be preserved is Independently Understandable to the Designated Community. In particular, the Designated Community should be able to understand the information without needing special resources such as the assistance of the experts who produced the information.
– Follow documented policies and procedures which ensure that the information is preserved against all reasonable contingencies, including the demise of the Archive, ensuring that it is never deleted unless allowed as part of an approved strategy. There should be no ad-hoc deletions.
– Make the preserved information available to the Designated Community and enable the information to be disseminated as copies of, or as traceable to, the original submitted Data Objects with evidence supporting its Authenticity.
--Please retain original text above for reference. Comment or propose amendments or additions below this line--